House, Function Venue or Hotel
should get at least three quotes and be very clear about what
exactly is included in the package.
- How many people can the room
- How many people will be seated
at each table? (8 or 12)
- How big is the dance floor?
- What is the price per head?
Obtain some sample menus and wine list
- How much time is allowed
for the reception? Can the time be extended if needed, and
at what extra cost?
- Is there a room where the
bridal couple can change to going-away clothes?>
- Is there somewhere safe to
- Does the fee cover the room
hire and the catering and waiting staff - or are these extras?
what services are available? Many places will organise cake,
music etc for you.
- Is there adequate parking
- What are the conditions of
cancellation and what is the fee?
- The parents of the bride
and the groom will usually precede the bride and groom to
- The guests will be welcomed
and offered drinks for about an hour before the bride and
- For a normal church service
the reception should be seated within 2.5 hours of the start
of the ceremony
- For a nuptial mass church
service the reception should be seated within 3 hours of the
start of the ceremony
- Guests will arrive at the
reception about 1.5 - 2 hrs before the bride and groom
- The pre-dinner drinks usually
start 1-1.5 hours before the reception starts
- Most guests will find this
time reasonable especially if they are from out-of-town. It
give them time to talk with everyone.
- Make sure that guests who
are from out-of-town have directions or send a local in their
vehicle (It is very distressing when the grooms parents get
lost for over an hour while driving to the reception)
- Keep the manager informed
about the number of guests. You will be expected to pay for
all the food you have ordered so do a final count several
days before the wedding
- Be definite about your
seating time with your photographer - you don't want the
reception seating time delayed.
The chief factor in determining
the style and venue of the reception is, regrettably, money.
Before you do anything else, therefore, you should work out
an operating budget for the event.
church, reception and photographer, in that order,
are the most urgent bookings to make.